Executive Office Manager
The American Wild Horse Campaign is seeking an Executive Office Manager for the Davis, California Office. Reporting to the Deputy Director (DD), the Executive Office Manager will be responsible for managing AWHC’s internal operations, including supporting the Executive Director (ED) in board relations (operational support, structure, board governance), administration (information technology, strategic planning, policies and procedures, compliance), human resources (recruiting, staff management, employee development), and finance (budgeting, financial reporting). This is a full-time office-based position, located in the AWHC Headquarters. Hours worked are flexible, though general office hours are maintained.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
- Assist ED in supporting Board of Directors’ activities, including meeting preparation
- Monitor the Board’s compliance-related issues (i.e. fiduciary responsibilities, insurance, conflicts of interest), ensuring they meet recognized benchmarks
- Support board governance and structure-related matters (standing committees, voting requirements, board terms, etc.).
- At the direction of the DD, oversee administrative functions, including travel arrangements, ensuring ongoing smooth operations
- Work with the Development Team to craft and manage donor receipts and responses
- Manage and direct company operations at DD’s direction to meet budget and other financial goals
- In consultation with the DD, plan and implement current and future IT needs, including both hardware and software
- With ED, DD, and Board, engage in strategic planning activities to ensure AWHC’s long-term sustainability
- Maintain and update policies and procedures as necessary
- Ensure that AWHC activities are in compliance with all federal, state, funding, and local regulations, certifications, insurance and licensing requirements
- Manage recruitment and hiring for new and vacant positions
- Develop onboarding, retention and promotion activities
- Manage wage and benefit schedules, updating as needed
- Ensure all staff-related policies, procedures and regulations are in compliance with related local, state, and federal laws
- Assist employees to create objectives and establish procedures and controls to review attainment of objectives and key results
- Establish and manage employee development programs
- Ensure that AWHC staffers remain mindful of AWHC’s work culture and implement policies and practices to ensure that AWHC’s cultural values, as expressed in the employee handbook, are consistently observed.
- Upgrade and implement appropriate system of policies, internal controls, accounting standards, and procedures
- Coordinate reimbursements, payments, check deposits and manage financial reporting
- Plan, coordinate and execute the annual budget process with ED, and DD
- Ensure completion of monthly financials (balance sheet, revenue/expenses, cash flow)
- Improve administrative and operational accounting services such as grants payment processing, payroll, accounts payable, and purchasing
- Oversee the payroll provider to ensure adherence to all federal, state, and local tax reporting and payment requirements
- Oversee annual financial audit and tax preparation and filings
The ideal candidate will have:
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited university or college and/or equivalent qualifying experience.
- Demonstrated experience working with a nonprofit board of directors and in nonprofit management
- Work well in a hybrid team environment (virtual, across time zones, and in-person)
- Knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
- Understanding of business functions such as Administration, HR, Finance
- Experience with budget development and financial tracking/reporting
- Ability to work with a diverse workforce, including external vendors, consultants and contractors
- Excellent communications skills (writing, speaking and presentation)
- Experienced user of office productivity tools.
- Ability to conduct advanced research using internet resources
- Ability to travel periodically, including multi-day trips throughout the U.S.
- Possession of a driver’s license, automobile and appropriate insurance coverage
How to Apply
If interested, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Executive Office Manager” Applications are considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.