In October 2018, the U.S. Forest Service conducted a massive helicopter roundup of 1,000 federally-protected wild horses from the Devils Garden Wild Horse Territory, a 300,000-acre public lands area within the Modoc National Forest near Alturas, California. The intent of the removal was to reduce the horse population so that ranchers who hold grazing permits in the Forest can turn out their cattle again on the public lands.
Hundreds of these horses are in danger of being sold for slaughter, thanks to the Forest Service plan to sell them without limitation after a period of time. Even worse: this horrific plan is taking place in California, a state that has prohibited the cruel practice of horse slaughter for two decades! AWHC and the Animal Legal Defense Fund has filed suit to stop this from happening.
Daily Reports From the Roundup
- USFS Hands Management of CA Wild Horses Over to Local Cattle Interests
- Devil's Garden Horses Available for Adoption
- Incompetent and Dangerous Management of Corrals on Full Display at Adoption Event
- 64 House Members Take Stand Against Fed Plan to Sell California Wild Horses for Slaughter
- House Natural Resources Chair Raul Grijalva Adds Powerful Voice to Fight to Save Wild Horses from Slaughter
Nevada Rep. Titus Leads Effort to Save Forest Service Wild Horses from Slaughter
- Wild Horse Group Sounds Alarm Over Feds’ Plan to Sell CA Wild Horses for $1
- Advocates File for Injunction to Block Forest Service from Selling Wild Horses for Slaughter
- Advocacy Groups File Lawsuit to Block Slaughter of California Wild Horses
- Forest Service Bends to Public Pressure; Extends Time Before Selling Modoc Wild Horses for Slaughter
- Feds Gear Up to Sell California Wild Horses for Slaughter
California's Elected Officials Speak Out
- Asm. Todd Gloria Takes Major Step to Boost Protection for Calif. Wild and Domestic Horses
- Reps. Ted Lieu and Dina Titus joined by 62 House Colleagues Decry Forest Service Wild Horse Slaughter Plan
- Todd Gloria Introduces Bill to Protect California's Wild Horses from Slaughter
- Attorney General Becerra Warns the U.S. Forest Service that Selling California’s Wild Horses for Slaughter Violates the Law
- Senator Feinstein to Forest Service: Don’t Sell Horses for Slaughter
- 22 California Legislators Join Asm. Todd Gloria in Demanding Federal Government Stop Inhumane Roundup of Wild Horses in Modoc National Forest
- Lawsuit seeks to block California wild horse slaughter
- Wild horse advocates protest sale of horses by Forest Service in Vallejo
- New US lawsuit aims to block sales of wild horses for slaughter
- Roundup of wild horses in California could lead to illegal slaughter
- Advocates outraged at Forest Service handling of wild horses
What You Can Do
- Donate to support our legal fund, so we can keep fighting this horrific situation in court.
- Call the U.S. Forest Service and send a letter to your representatives in Congress asking them to protect the horses.
- Contact local volunteers if you have ideas for placement of Devil’s Garden horses.
- If you’re from California, click here to thank the officials who have spoken up for the Devil’s Garden horses.