SUPPORT FOR PZP
- 30 years of science documents safe and effective use on multiple wildlife species, including wild horses.
- National Academy of Sciences recommended.
- Over three dozen organizations including nation’s leading animal welfare and wild horse protection organizations, endorse.
- Used successfully to manage numerous BLM herds, including Fish Springs horses in Gardnerville NV.
BENEFITS OF PZP
- Preserves natural behaviors. (Creates an immune response that prevents fertilization without affecting the reproductive hormones that drive behavior.)
- Safe for pregnant mares. (No harm to fetus)
- Delivery by remote darting
- 90+% efficacy
NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES ON FERTILITY CONTROL
“The most promising fertility-control methods for application to free-ranging horses or burros are porcine zona pellucida (PZP) vaccines, GonaCon™ vaccine, and chemical vasectomy… Preserving natural behaviors is important, so GonaCon seems more appropriate for use in females in that some research has suggested that female sexual behavior continues. GonaCon can be used and has been tested in males, and its effects are similar to those of chemical castration. However, further studies on behavioral effects of this product are needed.” (P. 6-7)
Table from Page 7 of NAS report: