ABOUT THE AMERICAN WILD HORSE CAMPAIGN (AWHC)
The American Wild Horse Campaign (AWHC) is a national nonprofit organization fighting to ensure America's promise of lifelong freedom to wild horses and burros is fulfilled and the public lands they call home are preserved. Our public awareness and education campaigns, advocacy work, field work, and land conservation and habitat restoration projects aim to protect and conserve these iconic animals as an integral part of the landscape of the West.
The Communications Director will be responsible for developing and implementing effective communication strategies to promote the organization's mission, raise awareness, and engage the public. This role includes managing and overseeing a team, requiring strong leadership, excellent communication skills, and a deep understanding of public relations and advocacy. This position is a remote-based, full-time, exempt position.
- Develop and implement comprehensive external and internal communication strategies in alignment with the organization's goals and initiatives.
- Cultivate and maintain robust relationships with media outlets and journalists to optimize exposure and coverage.
- Craft and edit persuasive press releases, articles, blog posts, and various communication materials.
- Supervise the Digital Content Manager, who is responsible for managing the organization's social media presence, including content creation, scheduling, and engagement.
- Provide leadership for a talented team of communication, marketing, and design professionals.
- Collaborate closely with internal teams to ensure consistent messaging and brand identity across all communication channels.
- Monitor and assess media coverage and public sentiment to identify trends and opportunities. Strategize and execute media events, press conferences, and other public relations activities. Act as the organization's spokesperson and manage media inquiries and interviews.
- Establish and nurture relationships with key stakeholders, partners, and supporters.
- Stay current with industry trends, best practices, and emerging communication technologies. Undertake other relevant tasks or projects as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A bachelor's degree in communications, public relations, journalism, or a related field is highly desirable.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills are a must. The candidate should adeptly convey messages to diverse audiences, including employees, stakeholders, and the media.
- Proficiency in developing and executing communication strategies aligned with organizational goals.
- The candidate should exhibit strategic thinking and adaptability in messaging for varying situations.
- Experience in cultivating and sustaining relationships with the media, including drafting press releases, coordinating interviews, and managing media inquiries.
- Strong leadership and team management skills are essential to inspire and guide the team toward achieving communication objectives.
- Competency in digital communication tools and platforms, such as social media, public relations and earned media software, email marketing, and content management. Candidates with experience in EveryAction and Cision will receive priority consideration.
- Proficient user of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe Creative Suite, Google Suite, Slack, and Canva.
- Willingness to travel, including multi-day trips throughout the United States.
- Background in non-profit advocacy work.
- Dedication to equine protection and a passion for driving positive change for animals and the environment.
- A strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion principles.
The wage range for this position is $70,000 - $125,000 yearly. The final salary offer will be determined after reviewing relevant factors, including but not limited to skill sets; relevant experience; internal equity; and other business and organizational needs.
Up to 25% travel within the US. Most travel will be in the Pacific and Mountain time zones.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter, portfolio of work, and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR” in the subject line.